Why should you care about social media?
It may be fun, it may be something your kids are into – but as a business owner, why should you care? The short answer is simple – an effective social media presence will help you make more money. Social media is here to stay – and that is good news for business owners like you. If you have an effective social media presence, it:
Creates brand awareness at very little cost
Your social media presence allows you to connect with billions of potential customers across the globe. It allows you the opportunity to reach your audience in an environment where they have mostly let their guard down. We are so used to being bombarded by commercials on the radio and on TV that many of us subconsciously tune them out. While social media is certainly going to see a dramatic increase in advertising over the next decade, as of now its advertising potential is largely untapped.
Allows you to create a common interest group
Social media platforms, particularly Facebook, are great places to form common-interest groups. Hobby enthusiasts, sports fans—it won’t take you more than a few moments to find these communities on Facebook. This presents a golden opportunity for, for instance, the owner of an R/C shop. By either creating or joining a community focused on remote control vehicles, he or she can create a great place for enthusiasts to connect—all the while establishing himself as the natural choice for their next purchase.
Connects you to your customers
A business that is active on social media will often interact with customers or clients several times each week. Whether it is “liking” something they posted on Facebook or them simply reading an informative Tweet you publish on Twitter, an active social media presence keeps you on the mind of your customers. As a doctor, for example, you typically see your patients a couple of times per year. But through social media, you can potentially interact with them hundreds of times in that same year—keeping your practice fresh on their minds.
Facebook or Google Plus
Facebook can be an amazing space; if you have a clear idea of what brings people together, what people love to share and where you want them to go and how to get them there.
- 5 Cover images developed with your existing images and agreed upon text. These will be rotated once a month or agreed upon schedule
- All settings adjusted, Admins connected, username created
- Instructions developed to be sent out in all your marketing tracks to garner new Page Likes (newsletter text, newspaper ads, radio text)
- 3 Linked Facebook posts (image + text + link) per week, M-W-F, to the Page. These are posts that have already been created on a blog or website. We can discuss content creation if as needed.
- 2 simple posts a week to the Page. These are simple questions and fill-in-the-blank types of posts
- Monitoring conversations, deleting spam, and postings replies on the Page
- Interacting with other targeted Pages as your Page for increased visibility and Facebook Page growth once a week.
Twitter is used mainly for its ability to move traffic to a site. 90% of the tweets are designed to engage interest and make the click to the site. After that, the site needs to manage the interest and move people to the sale.
- Open account(s) with agreed upon username and full name
- 160 character bio developed with keywords and extra URLs
- Photo uploaded, background image uploaded
- Follow up to 400 people on your behalf by keyword and/or location in the first 3 months
- Create three Twitter Lists to organize the people and brands you Follow and for the extra reach and marketing juice
- Research and suggest 10 hashtags for marketing based on your business niche
- Manually following other targeted tweeters to grow your following.
- Actively Re-tweeting and commenting on your behalf
- Actively using the designated hashtags
The main reason you want to be on YouTube is the SEO benefit. Several videos need to be developed to use all the targeted keywords you want to own for this program. These video do not need to be on-camera interviews. The videos can be presentations, ads, testimonials with static images etc.
- Create or use an existing Gmail account to open new YouTube Channel
- Design the Channel; format, description, background image upload
- SEO for Channel and template for video SEO
- Upload and optimize YouTube videos with keywords, titles, and descriptions to be found and drive traffic
- Manage comments by answering posts and removing spam as needed
- Add created videos to designated playlists
Pinterest can be an amazing space if you provide beautiful images that inspire curiosity, links back to your landing pages and encourage supporters to Pin your stuff. Images that inspire curiosity - creating images is a foundational social media task.
Instagram has 50 million users who are constantly checking out new photos and looking to connect with their network, collectively clicking “like” 571 times and posting 81 comments every second. As a business, you are a welcome part of this active network. By engaging your customers through Instagram you can stay at the forefront of their minds and improve your brand’s image.
- Create a new account with the business name and description
- Create up to 10 Boards; title and descriptions will need to be approved
- Populate those 10 Boards with existing content
- Add 5 pins/images a week from existing content
- Re-pin 5 pins/images a week from other people/business Boards
- Reply to comments, adding 5 comments a week